The most basic self-care step you can take is to nourish your body with nourishing foods. But it’s usually easier said than done.
Join Heather today as she chats with Belkis Crowe. Belkis owns her own meal prep service, so she has ALL the tips for faster food prep. She also understands the foundational relationship between food and loving yourself (or someone else!). Tune in!
If you have questions, please send them to [email protected].
Catch up with Kelsey:
Get to know Heather:
Be sure to like and subscribe on your preferred podcast platform!
Food = Love with Belkis Crowe
The most basic self-care step you can take is to nourish your body with nourishing foods. But it’s usually easier said than done. Join Heather today as she chats with Belkis Crowe. Belkis owns her own meal prep service, so she has ALL the tips for faster food prep. She also understands the foundational relationship between food and loving yourself (or someone else!).
Barbells and Bone Broth: Season 2, Episode 2
TUNE IN + SUBSCRIBE TO YOUR FAVORITE PLATFORM:
Apple Podcast | Stitcher | Soundcloud
HIGHLIGHTS FROM THIS EPISODE:
- Can you tell the listeners a little bit about yourself?
- I grew up with my grandmother in the Dominican Republic who did everything that she could to provide for her people by cooking. she never let me cook, I was the helper I did the dish dishes and I was the garlic peeler
- I was 17 when I moved to the United States from the Dominican Republic. I got an associate in liberal arts. Then I got married and I had two babies. I told my husband I had to go to culinary school, it was my dream.
- I started going to a crossfit gym, then I did the Paleo diet. I loved the way my body was changing and that’s when I started recreating dishes. I began making them for my coaches and friends at crossfit and they loved it. In 2014 I started my own paleo meal prep service business with a rotating weekly menu called Belkis Bites. I also do catered weddings, fitness events, and food competition
- Can you tell us what the Paleo diet is?
- Just eat whole foods, nothing processed. It’s protein, vegetables, and fruit.
- Did you feel like your physical mental health improved when you started eating differently and doing this meal prep?
- I felt like I had more energy, felt healthy, and had clarity with my mental health. There is a connection between the gut and the brain. 70% of your serotonin is from your gut, and if you don’t have a healthy gut, you’re not going to have a healthy mind.
- Is there a certain way to prepare a few things that people can mix and match who don’t want to spend a lot of time in the kitchen?
- You can buy prepped food. Your time is valuable and there’s nothing wrong with buying. Be realistic, keep a simple plan, make meals in bulk. Start with food that you enjoy with fresh ingredients.
- Do you ever get tired of cooking because you cook all the time?
- I do! I not only cook six days a week, but also I cook multiple meals at different hours as well as cooking for my family and working around their schedules. Sunday is usually the day I like to rest and not cook.
- How did COVID affect your business?
- Gyms closed so business slowed.
- I sought ways to give back to the nurses and doctors to bring them comfort to their long day through a home cooked meal. They needed to eat nourishing foods for their physical and mental health. This was a solo endeavor which was tough but brought a lot of fulfillment.
- I was nominated for a charity organization called Love Takes Action. Winning gave me the opportunity to donate 82,000 meals through a food bank called Island Harvest.
- Do you have any cookbooks or chefs that you recommend?
- Go to the Whole30 website for recipes and any of the Whole30 cookbooks.
- I also recommend Juli Bauer’s Paleo cookbook. She has thousands of recipes that are Paleo, clean and many are simple.
- What is your favorite exercise to do at the gym?
- What is your superpower?
- Empathy, I like to be there to help people. I always have food around and I make food for myself, so I just give my food to them.
- Where can people find you online?
- Instagram: @belkisbites
- Website: https://www.belkisbites.com
Do you have questions or comments about this episode?
SHARE ON PINTEREST:
SEE MORE PODCAST EPISODES:
The Kind of Complete History of Diet Culture – Season 3 Episode 3
Have you heard the saying that in order to change the future, you must understand the past? Well, Kelsey and Heather are diving into the history of dieting and how diet culture became a THING. And it’s SUUUUPER interesting!
The Holidays are Steeped in Diet Culture – Season 3 Episode 2
Not to be total Grinches, but the holidays are a great example of how diet culture ruins everything. Ever been to a party and binged on food, only to feel guilty for weeks after? Or maybe you turned down your favorite foods but obsessed over them the entire time. Heather and Kelsey unpack this idea and offer suggestions to navigate food choices without guilt or shame.
Diet Culture! (Dun Dun Dun!) – Season 3 Episode 1
Diet Culture. What is it?? And why are we Dun Dun DUN’ing?? Diet Culture is insidious. It’s everywhere. It’s baked right in. And it’s harmful. We’re going to tackle Diet Culture this season, but we’re going to start by defining it. Or trying to.